Sunday, April 17, 2016

A Tale of Two Letters

Imagine Lancelot trying to win the heart of Lady Guinevere:

Dearest Guinevere:

I awoke with lingering thoughts of you. Our chance meeting by the river Thames was indeed a most serendipitous occasion. Ah, shall I compare thee to a summers day? I still recall the fragrance of lilac. Your perfume stirred my senses. Your laughter was music to my ears. I long to see you again. When can I be blessed with the pleasure of your company?


Affectionately yours,
Lance


There is another very important lesson in this example. The letter is all about
Guinevere. Lance is writing Guinevere to ask for a date, a time to see her again.
He doesn't waste time talking about himself. From the very first sentence, it is all about her. Lance woke with thoughts of Guinevere.
 

I'll rewrite the letter as if Lance is full of himself, not a romantic.

Hi Guinevere:

I woke up this morning and thought about our lucky meeting yesterday. I was on the Thames having a good time. It was a nice day and I usually try to get out and have some fun when the weather is good. I love to fish, hike, and spend time in the sun. Well, there you were. What do you say we get together. We can have a few laughs and I'll show you a good time.


Lance


In this new letter, Lance is saying that he likes getting out and doing things. He
mentions the meeting, but there was nothing to say that he was intrigued by
Guinevere. Even asking for a date, Lance says, “I'll show you a good time.”
Again, it's all about him.


The first letter made Guinevere the subject of every sentence. The second letter
did the opposite. The first letter closed in saying that having an opportunity to
see Guinevere again would be a pleasure and a blessing. In the second letter,
Lance says he'll show Guinevere a good time.


I wrote the two examples to teach an important lesson in relationships. A man
should show interest in his potential mate. He should find things of common
interest and build a relationship on that. In a modern world, men should make it
a point to learn about a lady's hobbies, interests, career, etc. Ladies should do
likewise with their men.


If you want to successfully win the heart of a potential mate, you really have to be interested in them and show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment