Thursday, April 7, 2016

A Sample Love Letter

A couple of years ago, my wife was in Vermont on a writing retreat. She stayed at a cozy bed & breakfast in the Green Mountain region. There were twelve other writers there and the instructor for the event.

One morning during the event, I sent my wife a message, via e-mail, telling her
that I was proud of her and telling her that while I was alone, my thoughts were
with her.


Here is that letter:


Good Morning, Sweet Mary Rose:


I’ve been thinking of you since I woke up this morning. It is rare, indeed, when I am all alone. I look forward to your homecoming, yet, I want to celebrate your
learning and discovering things about yourself. Inspiration comes from all manner of events. This may be a very important development for you. Even if just a scenic get-away, you will take home great memories of the beauty you saw in upstate New York and Vermont.


I love the sound of small, meandering trout streams as they tumble over rock
and rubble, cutting their way through pastures and hillsides. For thousands of
years, they have left their mark on the mountains and brought life to valleys
below.


There is a quiet beauty in autumn mornings, when the dew is laid gently upon
velvet rose buds. Sunlight shimmering on moist foliage looks like the gold of my
Claddagh ring– it symbolizes the harmony of two hearts beating as one. I feel
rich on mornings such as those. I feel rich when we are sleeping in, then
enjoying a leisurely breakfast. Ah, the richness of Kauai coffee freshly brewed
and a crisp, fall morning before winter. I remember those times well. I want
more of the same.


I am proud of you.


Love,
Mickey


Some people might call this a love letter, others might not think of it that way,
but, it really is a romantic letter in the classical sense. My wife shared the letter
with all the other writers at the retreat and it received a lot of praise. The instructor in the writing retreat and several participants really loved it. Many of the ladies said that they wished their husband could write like that.


From “I love the sound of small, meandering trout streams...” through “...like the gold of my Claddagh ring--” those words could easily be written in a book or
article about the beauty of Vermont in autumn.
 

That is part of what makes romantic writing so powerful. It is poetic, but it is not poetry, per se. It is highly descriptive. It arouses the senses and it stirs the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment