Friday, April 8, 2016

A Love Poem...

A love poem does not have to be lengthy in order to express your feelings and win the heart of a lady. My wife and I have exchanged many poems over the years. Most of them have been short like this one.

Dawn Visions (by Mickey Maguire)

I long to watch the sunrise
beside the one I love
First rays of light advancing
stars fading high above


Golden dewdrops glistening
on leaf and stem and petal
Her eyes brightly shining
as if some precious metal


Her hair a golden halo
lit by the morning sun
the Bard and his Lady
and two hearts beat as one


----

This short poem paints a vivid picture of two people watching the morning sunrise. I can imagine the sun slowly rising and light reflecting off dew-laden foliage. I can see the light reflected in my wife's eyes.

Powerful poetry paints vivid pictures in the reader's mind. That brings out stronger emotions than a photograph ever will because the "vision" actually belongs to the reader; but, a photo belongs to the person who clicked the shutter.

Your goal is to paint pictures with words to elicit an emotional response in your reader. Doing that will definitely make a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment