Saturday, April 23, 2016

A New Day - A Love Poem

I wrote this love poem for my wife before we were married. It was one of many that I had written for her. She wrote many for me.

Early on, Mary Rose (my wife) was intrigued when I took interest in her poetry and told her things about herself that I could discern from what she had written.

By giving her feedback on her writing, my future wife could tell that I really had an interest in her. Better still, I not only had an interest in what she wrote, I was a poet as well, and I let her read things that I had written. Then, I started writing poetry specifically for her and about her.


A New Day
by Mickey Maguire


I wake to find myself
in shrouded veil of darkness
The sun has not yet risen
nor has dew begun its sweet caress


All about are sounds of night
the symphony is playing
The east horizon's not yet aglow
but, surely dawn is coming


I see images of Lady Fair
and think of her caress
her kisses and her loving touch
I'm captive, I confess


Even tho' I've just awakened
thoughts of her arouse me
and love, once distant and obscure
no longer seems a mystery


I shall rejoice when we, at last
are walking hand-in-hand
To gently hold you, softly kiss
in dawn's first light we stand


A new day comes sweet lady love
and all the joys of life
With you, my heart I'll gladly give
I'll take you as my wife

No comments:

Post a Comment