Monday, May 9, 2016

Love Songs

Being a true romantic at heart, I wrote a song for the woman I would marry before we even met. When the time came, I played it for her at our wedding.

This is that song:

Loving You
By Michael W. (Mickey) Maguire

In the morning when I open my eyes
I see you there and I realize,
what a blessing to have you here with me.

You always know exactly what to say.
Only you can make me feel this way.
I know there's nowhere on Earth that I'd rather be.


[chorus]
One lifetime's not enough, so, how's eternity sound?
We'll walk together in heaven hand-in-hand.
Praising God everyday for the kind of love that we have found,
and His trail of foot steps in the sand.

In the quiet of the evening chill
I know I love you, I always will.
We'll sit together arm and arm by the fire.
I'll softly, whisper, what's in my heart.
No force on Earth could ever keep us apart,
and I confess to you you're my one desire.


[chorus]

I thank God everyday for the way he brought you into my life,
how we came to meet was more than chance.
I thank God everyday for giving me a wonderful wife,
and His trail of foot steps in the sand
and His trail of foot steps in the sand


Here is a link to the song online:
Loving You 

I am a professional songwriter, among other things, so writing a song was not difficult for me. I wrote both the lyrics and melody.

If you want to express your love in a song and all you write are lyrics, there are lots of melody makers out there. It is just a matter of finding someone who can put a melody to your words.

When I wrote "Loving You" I had written the melody while sitting in a cubicle on my lunch break (I was working in the computer industry at the time). The melody is the same one you'll hear in the link above. I built a mood and then I finally wrote the lyrics about six months later. 

Normally, I write a song, both lyrics and melody, in about five minutes. That is just the way inspiration takes me. In this case, perhaps it was because I will writing for someone I had not even met, yet, but I built the mood and just played the tune on a regular basis until I figured out what I wanted to say.

Like love poems and letters, a love song must come from the heart. True love is the most powerful emotion in the universe... and music is the universal language.

No comments:

Post a Comment