Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Weather the Storm

On my way to work yesterday morning I hit freezing rain.

I made it to work without incident, but, on the way, I was delayed by someone else's misfortune. There was a traffic accident along my chosen route.

On my return home another wave of bad weather hit. I woke up this morning to find a blanket of snow on the ground. It is not deep. It is just enough to make the commute to work slippery.

It's mornings like these that make me want to stay home, crawl into bed, and spend the day snuggling with my wife. Of course, I can't do that. I have responsibilities and one of those is showing up at work.

Here is a little poem I wrote on just such an occasion a few years ago.

Snow

by Mickey Maguire

Snow is softly falling
past my window to the ground
Each flake a thing of beauty
that lands without a sound

The meadow is now covered
in a blanket colored white
It glistens like a crystal dish
sparkling in the night

When the storm, at last, is gone
and the moon is shining bright
Trees encased in icy coats
make for an awesome sight

I do not have the time to sit
and savor winter's beauty
I am reminded by the clock
that I must do my duty

For when the day commences
and I must venture out
the snow and ice will hinder me
along my chosen route

I've little time and won't enjoy
the beauty of the snow
In truth it's not so beautiful
when off to work I go

Alas... Work Awaits

As much as I'd love to stay home with my wife, I am afraid that I must venture forth and make my way to work. That only makes my return home that much sweeter.

I am happy to know that my wife works from home. She does not need to go anywhere. She'll be safe and warm in her home office-- ticking away at her computer. Perhaps that thought will keep me warm until I return this evening.

Be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment